Athletics Facility Use for U of M Students
From sporting events and competitions to banquets, facilities on Michigan's Stephen M. Ross Athletic Campus can provide a unique setting for student events. This site is intended to provide information for student organizations interested in holding events in Athletics facilities. Specific questions should be directed to the listed contact for each facility on the "Rental Spaces" pages. Go Blue!
All Athletics facilities listed are available on a first come, first served basis once the following are scheduled:
1. Intercollegiate athletic practices and competitions.
PLEASE NOTE that in some cases, these schedules may not be finalized until approximately 2 months prior to the start of the sports seasons.
2. Recreational Sports programs
In most athletic facilities, the Department of Recreational Sports has second priority and its associated needs and events will be scheduled before rentals.
Requests for the use of Athletics facilities should be made as early as possible, but no less than 30 days prior to event date to allow adequate time for proper planning. More lead time may be required depending on the requested facility as well as the scope, size, and type of event
Only recognized student organizations, sponsored or voluntary, with valid University accounts (i.e. shortcodes) are eligible to hold events in Athletics facilities. Some events (i.e., concerts, dance/party events, etc.), at the discretion of Athletics, may require the student group to be a Sponsored Student Organization in order to move forward with Athletics facility use. Such factors as the size, scope, and type of event will be considered when making this determination.
Any group holding an event in any Athletics facility is required to provide proof of insurance as specified in the Facility Use Contract. Sponsored Student Organizations are covered under the University’s self-insurance, while Voluntary Student Organizations are not and would therefore need to secure their own insurance policy. Please see the insurance policy or contact the Center for Campus Involvement or Risk Management for more information.
1. Fill out and submit the appropriate Facility Rental Request Form. Please note that the individual completing this form must be an Authorized Signer of a recognized student organization. Any specific questions should be directed to the appropriate contact listed for each facility.
2. Upon receipt of the completed Facility Rental Request Form, you will be contacted to further discuss the proposed event, anticipated costs, etc.
3. Once the event is ready to be booked, a Facility Use Contract will be drawn up and emailed to the Authorized Signer. The contract should be signed and returned, along with deposit and proof of insurance (when applicable) and any necessary addendums, within 15 days of the contract date in order to consider the event approved and final.
4. Please note that, as indicated on the Facility Use Contract, some of the identified fees (staffing, cleaning, etc.) are ESTIMATES ONLY, and actual totals will be billed upon final invoicing after the conclusion of the event.
Athletics has adopted similar policies and guidelines for dances/parties held in their facilities as those that take place at the University Unions facilities as outlined on the Campus Involvement site. Dance/party events are defined as those with an ending time after 11:00pm that use music and take place in an open area (without seating) for more than 125 active attendees. In order to ensure these are safe and successful events on the Athletics campus, they may require additional attention, planning, and coordination with other University groups. Please contact the appropriate individual listed for each facility if you believe your event may meet the criteria of a dance/party event.
Athletics is committed to serving University of Michigan students by providing facilities for (1) Intercollegiate athletic practices and competitions and (2) Department of Recreational Sports programs. To further support student organizations wishing to host philanthropic or charitable events on campus, Athletics will sponsor up to 3 such events per academic year in its non-premium spaces (as listed) based on the following criteria:
- Facility availability
- The applying student organization must:
- Be a recognized student organization, sponsored or voluntary, in good standing with the University
- Have a constitution that supports a philanthropic core purpose and reflects its commitment to performing charitable actions
- Demonstrate that the proposed event has a philanthropic purpose (i.e. is either financial or service-based in nature)
- Have a proven track record of consistent success in both their philanthropic endeavors as well as the execution of comparable events
- Weight and consideration will be given to the level of impact the student organization and its proposed event will have on their charitable cause and/or the community.
Interested student organizations should fill out the Athletics Sponsored Student Events Application. Applications will be accepted throughout the year. The timeline for sponsorship approval will vary depending on the facility being requested and its associated team scheduling process.
Athletics will have final determination of the events selected to receive these sponsorships. In addition to considering intercollegiate athletic competitions, intercollegiate athletic team practices, and Department of Recreational Sports programs, Athletics will consult with Student Life, Central Student Government, and other campus partners, as appropriate to the event, on the above listed criteria.
The ability of Athletics to sponsor student organization events will in large part be subject to venue availability, which is primarily dependent on the scheduling of intercollegiate athletic practices and competitions. These schedules are sometimes not finalized until as late as 2 months prior to the start of the sports seasons. Some facilities may not be available due to the time of year being requested.
Athletics’ sponsorship consists of waiving the Athletics facility rental fee. Student organizations are responsible for all other costs incurred, as outlined under Financial Obligations. Athletics venues classified as premium spaces and their associated rental fees are not included in this event sponsorship policy and will not be waived. Both premium spaces and non-premium spaces are identified on this webpage. In addition, there may be other factors, such as the duration of an event, that will be considered when determining if the Athletics facility rental fee will be waived.
Pre-event planning meeting(s) will be required as necessary to ensure a clear and mutual understanding of responsibilities and expectations. A post-event review will take place within one month following the conclusion of each sponsored event. The post-event review should include leaders of the organizations familiar with the details of the event and necessary Athletics staff. The review should cover all aspects of the event; including, but not limited to: planning, communication, and event execution. Any concerns expressed by either party should be addressed and documented at this time.
Athletics will not be financially responsible for any expenses incurred nor will Athletics assume any financial risk (i.e., funding any unpaid bills). Athletics requires that the student organization [and/or their sponsoring unit, when applicable] be able to cover any expenses associated with their use of the facility prior to the event. This includes, but is not limited to, Athletics staffing, facility cleaning, and UM Plant Department operation costs. Athletics may verify funding for expenses beyond the waived rental fee in the student organization’s SOAS account. It is the responsibility of the student organization to ensure they have the necessary funding to cover financial obligations of the event that are not billed through Athletics, including, but not limited to production, catering, or security.
Athletics encourages student organizations to apply for funding through the Central Student Government’s Student Organization Funding Committee [SOFC] and other financial resources .
- Interested student organizations should fill out the Athletics Sponsored Student Events Application. As stated on the form, the listed primary event contact can expect to receive an acknowledgement of receipt of the request 2-3 business days following their submission.
In some instances, additional information may be requested of the student organization and discussion of potential associated costs may be appropriate at this time to determine overall feasibility of the event.
- If it is determined that availability of the requested facility can be confirmed and the student organization and its proposed event appear to meet the stated criteria, the following individuals will meet at their earliest convenience to review and discuss the submitted application:
- Associate Athletic Director, Operations & Event Management
- Special Events Coordinator – Athletics
- Student Engagement Coordinator – Athletics
- SAAC representative
- CSG President, or an Executive External Appointment
- Student Life/Center for Campus Involvement representative
- Once approved by the aforementioned individuals, the event will then be proposed to the Executive Senior Associate Athletic Director - Chief Operating Officer for final approval by Athletics.
- An Athletics Facility Use contract will be created and sent to the primary event contact for review. The contract will indicate a waived facility rental fee along with an estimate* of all other anticipated costs based on known information to date. It is the signing of the contract by the Authorized signer, and if applicable a faculty or staff member of the organizations sponsoring unit, that confirms the event.
* ALL actual costs incurred are the responsibility of the student organization and may exceed initial estimates due to new/changing information, needs, etc. Billing of any expenses will occur after the event has taken place and actual costs are known.